When I FIRST got into ECommerce sales, Figuring out the best selling products on Amazon seemed like the best starting point for me since I was looking for a way to start earning extra money online. Making money online as an affiliate marketer is one thing, but doing it on amazon is a whole other story.
It’s no secret that selling on Amazon is one of the most widely used and proven methods for earning a very good living while staking your claim to your own little corner of the vast online marketplace.
Wanting to maximize the chances that I would be successful, I started to send out some emails to some well known Amazon sellers that have had success, hoping they’re share some golden nuggets with me.
Looking back I can’t believe that I actually expected to get a response.
When you think about it people that have had success selling on Amazon probably aren’t too keen on the idea of sharing what has made them successful and giving the competition a chance to catch up to them.
That meant that if I wanted to figure out the best selling products on Amazon, and have success selling them, then I was going to have to find my own path.
Table of Contents
- 1 Being Successful Selling On Amazon Isn’t A Matter Of Luck
- 2 First: You need to know WHAT to Sell on Amazon
- 3 Next: Find the Best Selling Products on Amazon
- 4 Pay Attention To Product Listings
- 5 Pay Close Attention To The Amazon Best Sellers List
- 5.1 From the top 100 sellers list you can get easy access to the following information:
- 5.2 What Types Of Products Do Small Sellers Typically Do Well With?
- 5.3 Where Can You Purchase The Items That you’re Going To Resell On Amazon?
- 5.4 Fulfillment By A Company Other Than Amazon Could Be A Great Option For You As Well
- 5.5 What Does All Of This Mean For You?
- 6 So..what now?
Being Successful Selling On Amazon Isn’t A Matter Of Luck
Is it possible to blindly jump into the online world and find enough luck selling products on Amazon to become a real success?
Sure it is, but if that’s the approach you’re going to take you might as well just go out and start buying lottery tickets and hope that you’re going to win.
The truth is that if you want to have success selling on Amazon you’re going to have to learn the science behind the process.
Remember that Amazon makes money if you make money, so they definitely have your best interests in mind and want to see you succeed.
Did you know that as of 2016 Amazon accounted for roughly 43% of all online sales in the United States?
That’s almost half of all online sales!
With so many people buying on Amazon doing your best to get your own piece of that giant pie makes good business sense.
So how do you get started?
Read on, and I’ll tell you! 🙂
First: You need to know WHAT to Sell on Amazon
If you want to succeed as a seller on Amazon there are a number of things you need to keep in mind.
First, you need to find out what kinds of products are the best sellers so that you can give yourself the best chance to succeed.
Obviously, you’re going to have more luck selling items that are in demand as opposed to items that have very low sales figures.
While knowing what the best selling products on Amazon are a great starting point, that’s all that it really is, a starting point.
In order to be truly successful, you’re going to need to pay attention to the following factors as well.
1. The cost of the items you’re selling should be between 25% to 35% of the price you’re planning to sell for.
This will ensure that you have enough room to make a profit after covering necessary expenses and planning for potential losses as well.
2. Your target sale price should be between $10 and $50. If you have a higher sale price than $50 you’re less likely to attract the kinds of customers that you should be targeting.
While in an ideal world you would be able to get people to buy high priced items from you, the reality is that in most cases people to turn to large established retailers for these kinds of purchases.
3. Having a low shipping weight of under 3 pounds maximum is very important.
Remember, you’re selling low priced items, so keeping costs down is essential.
Even if you plan on charging your customers for shipping, the lower the shipping cost the more appealing your items will be for them.
4. Sell durable items that are less likely to become damaged during shipping, and avoid selling holiday-related items.
5. Offer a higher level of quality than the competition.
Yes, you’re selling lower priced items. Yes, that does mean that customers that are considering buying from you want a good deal.
But, a good deal isn’t just a low price, it’s also the amount of value you’re getting for that low price.
If you sell items that are similarly priced to your competition, and your items are of higher quality, then you’re going to greatly increase your chances of succeeding.
Next: Find the Best Selling Products on Amazon
1. If you’re looking for a surefire way to fail at selling on Amazon, then try competing with a major retailer.
There are a number of problems that you’re going to encounter if you decide that you want to try to compete with major retailers.
First, you’re going to have to compete with the fact that major retailers have brand recognition, that means that customers are more likely to gravitate toward them.
The other problem with competing with a major retailer is the fact that you won’t be able to match their pricing if you want to remain profitable.
Large retailers can buy in bulk, which means that they can purchase items for less.
When you buy a product for less then you can turn around and sell it for less, while still remaining profitable.
So, if you want to succeed don’t try to go up against the big guys.
2. You also want to make it as easy as possible for potential customers to find your products on Amazon.
When someone goes to Amazon to buy something, such as kids crayons, they will go to the search function and type in kids crayons.
- Or maybe they will type in kids coloring supplies,
- Or they will type in the name brand Crayola.
The point here is that someone looking for one type of item could potentially type it in the search function in a number of ways.
So, when you’re listing your items for sale you need to make sure that you have as wide of a range of keywords as possible, so it will increase the likelihood of your items being found.
3. Make sure that the products you’re planning to sell are popular enough to give you a chance to succeed.
For example, any products you’re selling should get at least 100,000 monthly searches, and similar products should have at least 50 customer reviews.
Amazon will actually provide this data for you, so not taking advantage of it can be a huge mistake.
Pay Attention To Product Listings
If your goal is to become a successful Amazon seller, then you need to take advantage of every bit of information that you can find out there.
One place that you can find a huge amount of useful information is in the product listings that other sellers have posted about products that you may be considering selling yourself.
1. The first bit of useful information you will find in an Amazon product listing is the price.
One common tactic that people will use is to list a product at a certain price, then place it on sale for a lower price.
The trick here is that the so-called sale price isn’t a sale at all, it’s the normal price that they are trying to sell their product for.
The so-called regular price is a markup.
The point here is that you can get people to become customers if you get them to think that they are getting a great deal and that the amount of time left to get that great deal won’t last forever.
2. The next bit of useful information you’re going to find is the item description. Remember that you’re going to want to keep your shipping costs down by only selling items that weigh between 2 and 3 pounds.
So if the listing says that the item you’re looking at weighs more than that, then you can use this information to move on to other items that should be more profitable for you.
3. Next, you’re going to want to take a look at the overall ranking for the item in question, as well as it’s ranking in niche categories. Ideally, you should only be looking to sell items that have a BSR of over 5000.
In other words, you want to have an item that is ranked well in the overall listing of Amazon best sellers.
But, if you find an item that ranks low in BSR, but ranks very high in certain niche categories, then that item may still be worth selling.
(Note: For more inspiration, check out my post: The top 10 Niches for ECom Stores)
4. Finally, you’re going to want to look at customer ratings regarding the product in question.
Any product you’re considering selling should have at least 20 to 30 ratings.
This shows that the product is popular, and it’s also important because Amazon uses the number of ratings that a product has as a determining factor in how it ranks the item.
Ratings are also important because most customers read through a product’s ratings before they make a final decision on whether or not to purchase the product, so obviously aiming for items with better ratings will be in your best interest.
Pay Close Attention To The Amazon Best Sellers List
Remember how I mentioned that Amazon will provide you with a wealth of information that you can use to your advantage?
Well, when looking for the best selling products on Amazon all you have to do is take a look at the top 100 in each category.
It’s super easy to find too!
- Visit https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers/
- Choose from the countless list of categories on the left
- C’est Voila, your best sellers list in every category imaginable!
Amazon provides this information to you for free, which you can then use to make a decision about what items you should be selling.
While you probably shoudln’t try to sell the top-selling item because of the high competition, you also don’t want to sell items that aren’t on the top 100 list because your sales figures will end up being too low to enable you to make a profit.
From the top 100 sellers list you can get easy access to the following information:
1. Most Wished For
This page tracks items that Amazon customers don’t purchase but instead put on their wish list. While this won’t show you actual sales figures, it will still give you valuable insight into what types of items people are interested in.
2. Movers And Shakers
Like the name implies, this is a list of items that are quickly moving up the Amazon BSR rankings. Paying attention to this list will give you valuable insight into items that are suddenly in demand. Maybe it’s a new item, maybe it’s a lower price point, or maybe it’s a seasonal item. The point here is that the items on this list are hot, which means that you may be able to take advantage of this sudden interest in them to boost your profits.
3. Gift Ideas
The page will tell you what items are marked as a gift upon checkout. This will give you an idea of what types of items are more likely to be given as gifts. Then, you can choose to sell these types of items around popular gift-giving times of year to take advantage of this unique opportunity.
4. Hot New Items
These are items that are new to Amazon that is quickly moving up the BSR rankings. By taking advantage of these items you may be able to get in on the ground floor of a buying trend, which can really do wonders for your bottom line.
What Types Of Products Do Small Sellers Typically Do Well With?
While you may be tempted to try to sell the best selling products on Amazon, doing so is difficult because of the amount of competition involved.
Rather than trying to fight it out with bigger and more established Amazon sellers, you’re much better off aiming for a smaller niche that gives you a better chance to succeed. You can succeed in this smaller niche by selling items you source from elsewhere, or you can also succeed by selling items that you produce yourself.
Where Can You Purchase The Items That you’re Going To Resell On Amazon?
If you decide that you want to sell items that are made by another company, you’re going to need ready access to those items if you want to be able to sell them. So where can you find those items?
1. One option you should look at is a wholesale buyer’s market. Markets such as these cater to small businesses and often offer a lower price when you place a larger order with them. While this can mean investing more money into your eCommerce business, the higher profit per item often makes this initial higher investment well worth it.
2. Another option you should consider is Alibaba. Alibaba is a company that specializes in wholesale, and they offer great prices for people just like you. On top of that, they also offer a wealth of information about all of the products that they are selling.
Fulfillment By A Company Other Than Amazon Could Be A Great Option For You As Well
Amazon offers a lot of advantages as a fulfillment option, but they may not be the best option for you.
Maybe there are other companies that can actually offer you a better level of pricing. Just remember, a great fulfillment company doesn’t just mean a company that offers you the lowest prices possible. You need a company that you can count on to properly package your items to ensure that they won’t be damaged during shipping.
You also need a fulfillment company that will ship your items on time so that you won’t develop a reputation with your customers as being unreliable.
What Does All Of This Mean For You?
The point of all of this is simple, you can be successful selling on Amazon, but it’s not something that is easy or something that will happen overnight.
You need to find the best selling products on Amazon, and you also need to find out how you can use this to your advantage.
You also need to be willing to devote the time and energy it takes to use the vast amount of information that Amazon provides to you.
Amazon wants you to do well because it increases their profits, so they give you a lot of tools to help you with along the way. If you have ever dreamed of being your own boss and earning money online, then becoming a seller on Amazon could be the path to get you there.
I know this may all seem scary, but I promise it’s not. If you want to learn how to make a living selling on Amazon, you need to learn from the best.
My #1 Recommendation for this is to study what Amazing Selling Machine is teaching right now. Their trainig takes you step by step in an ‘over the shoulder’ type of way that’s easy and fun to follow, and many of their students have gone on to make 6 figures per MONTH, or more! (You can read my full Amazing Selling Machine Review for more info).